One of the really cool things about opening a cafe is that it doesn’t necessarily need to be very big, and if you can make your cafe mobile, it really opens the doors for many business opportunities, such as events and festivals. One unique option for creating a cafe is out of a shipping container, with the 20ft container being a perfect choice, although even a small 10ft container will do. This post takes a look at the shipping container cafe and how the idea is helping to transform the world of hospitality and the coffee industry.
Somewhat a novelty just a few years back, cafes made from shipping containers seem to be popping up everywhere you look nowadays – and for good reason. Increasingly more people are realising how easy and cheap it is to construct their business premises using this material.
Thanks to the abundant supply of shipping containers worldwide, acquiring one to convert into a café is quite inexpensive. The cost-saving benefits of container conversions are especially important for businesses that are just starting up and are limited in the way of capital. Traditional commercial-rent-space is limiting to entrepreneurs as most of the time you will be required to pay a down payment a couple of months’ rent upfront.
In addition to this, a container café (because it can be moved easily) also gives your new businesses the ability to try out several spots to find out the perfect place to set up i.e. where there is the most demand for your products and services. But there are more benefits to using shipping containers for building cafés.
Benefits of shipping container cafes
Shipping container conversions into cafes are popular because of the following reasons:
- Portability. Since the café is built into the container, moving it around will just be as easy as moving the container. This makes container cafes a more permanent version of a food truck without all the inconveniences of owning and maintaining a motor vehicle. It is the perfect solution for cafés that would want to move around to cater for events and festivals.
- Hygiene. A cargo container café can be fitted with all the amenities of a traditional eatery including a proper kitchen with working plumbing. This ensures that the food served is clean and safe for human consumption.
- Security. Sea containers are very robust and will guarantee the safety of the supplies and equipment you store in the shop. You don’t need to worry about a place to keep your things when you close for the night; just lock up and go home.
- Flexibility. When business picks up, it’s easy to scale up when using a shipping container as all you need to do is add another.
- It’s a physical asset. When you rent a place, all that money you pay as rent is dead. Most of the fixtures and fittings you add to make your café fit for customers can’t be pulled down and moved to a new place if you need to relocate. With a shipping container café, the whole building is yours and can be sold or moved if you need to. It’s your asset.
In addition to supplying quality new and used shipping containers, Tiger Shipping Containers is also a specialist in container conversions including turning sea containers into cafés. We’ll take care of everything from sourcing the container (new or used) to modifications and fitting it out with all the facilities you require – your one-stop-shop for your shipping container café.
Some of the common features we include for this kind of modification include:
- Full-length lockable, side opening doors.
- Laminate flooring.
- Retail-style lighting.
- Complete electric packs including power, light, and heating.
- Preparation areas that include worktops, sinks, and any accompanying plumbing.
- Decking and awnings.
Café made from 10ft Shipping Container:
Containers Cafés from Tiger Shipping Containers
If you are ever in Mudgee please make sure you drop in and see this containerised café/gallery.
Tiger Shipping Containers proudly supplied all of the containers and also did all of the cuts outs plus framing. We also designed the joining kits locking all of the containers together. Check out our range of container accessories to see how you could further improve the functionality of your container cafe.
Shipping Container Modified as Coffee Shop
Tiger Shipping Containers have recently completed a modification for another customer, they are planning on using it as a coffee shop. The customer will be fitting it out on-site so stay tuned for more updates once it has been completed.
It's so simple to set up your own cafe however you've dreamed it with a container cafe from Tiger Shipping Containers.
Café made from 10ft Shipping Container
Tiger Shipping Containers has just completed another Café this year,
We supplied them with a 10ft new build shipping container with 2 window cutouts with gas strut covers and welded tags for power, letting them take over the design and make it their own from there.
Shipping Container Pop Up Pizza Restaurant Launched
Tiger Shipping Containers is proud to present Da Mario’s Pop-up Restaurant in Rosebery, NSW, our latest shipping container modification.
What a great idea for a mobile Restaurant!
From the da mario website: “da mario has gone mobile as ‘pizza da mario’ – a bespoke shipping container designed by Victoria Hampshire, complete with a 3-tonne wood-burning oven imported from Naples. The mobile container will be popping up for events, festivals and as an outdoor restaurant around Sydney.”
If you want a shipping container modified to the highest standard, built to last and looking great, please contact Tiger Containers.
All of our shipping modifications are created in Sydney and we can ship anywhere in Australia.
Like the idea of a portable and affordable business which you can make completely your own? Shipping Container Cafes are very popular right now and if you want the job done right, contact Tiger Shipping Containers. Our team of qualified and experienced technicians will help you make the modifications you require to meet your needs.
Call us for a free quotation: 1800 072 039.